Maryland Insurance Continuing Education
Once you have received your license, PSI can help you achieve Maryland's CE requirements. Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA) allows classroom courses as well as verifiable self-study courses for continuing education if the course has been submitted for approval by an authorized provider. The PSI Learning Academy provides easy access to such state approved CE course content from AD Banker and 360Training.
Continuing Education requirements for Maryland
Effective October 1, 2009, all resident licensees holding a major line of authority, with the exception of Title, will be required to complete 24 hours of continuing education before their license can be renewed. Title producers will still have a 16 hour requirement.
If prior to October 1, 2008, a resident licensee has been consecutively licensed for 25 or more years their continuing education requirement is 8 hours.
Of the required hours of Continuing Education for all resident producers per renewal period, at least 3 hours shall relate directly to ethics.
- The license renewal date is two years from the license issuance date. The compliance date is one day prior to the license renewal date.
CE Subject Requirements
- Agents must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- Renewing before October 1, 2009, 16 hours of CE is required. For license renewed on or after October 1, 2009, 24 hrs of CE will be required; including 3 hours of ethics training.
- LH/PC combined licensees must complete 4 hours in each LH and PC.
- Individuals wishing to sell Long Term Care must complete 8-hours of approved LTC education prior to selling and then 4-hours biennially thereafter. The 8-hours & 4-hours counts towards the CE requirement.
- If you are licensed in P/C and sell flood insurance, you must secure two CE credits in Flood Insurance with every licensing period.
- All P/C Producers who sell Homeowners Insurance ONLY must complete 2 CE credits in Flood Insurance by Sept. 30, 2007 for a one time requirement.
- Producers who have held a license for 25 consecutive years; as of October 1, 2008 must completed 8 hours of CE per renewal period, including ethics.
- Only 50% of the CE requirement can be met through approved self-study/online courses. At least 50% of the CE must be taken in a classroom environment.
*PSI Services LLC is providing a referral service for candidates through the PSI Learning Academy. Courses accessed through the PSI Learning Academy are provided by a third-party provider and have not been independently evaluated by PSI Services LLC. PSI has not shared or provided any exam content with the third-party provider or assisted in the development of any course. The courses are solely intended for educational purposes.